Playing musical instruments boosts children’s creativity, abstract thinking, imagination, and reasoning skills. If your child is interested in this art form that is beyond any language barriers, check out this curated list of the best musical instruments for kids.
Playing musical instruments also helps children develop their self-expression and self-esteem. So, sit along with your budding musician, scroll through this list, and help them pick a musical instrument of their choice.
13 Best Musical Instruments For Kids
1. Best Portable Percussive Instrument: Emaas Kids Jazz Drum Set
The sturdy and long-lasting jazz drum set for kids from the house of Emass boosts imagination and creativity. This musical instrument consists of five drums, two drumsticks, a kick pedal, a stool, and a cymbal chair. Manufactured from good quality materials, this drum set produces a loud and clear sound. The stool incorporated in this set ensures that a user feels comfortable using the instrument. The product is suitable for children’s parties because it is colorful and attractive.
Item Weight: 3.84 pounds | Product Dimensions: 12.5 x 2 x 11.5 inches.
Ideal age: 3-12 years
- Offers innovative ways to boost the musical abilities of the child
- Carefully designed to withstand rough play
- Lightweight and portable
- Educational toy made from kid-safe materials
- Might be slightly challenging to assemble
2. Best Multi-Genre Musical Instrument: Small Fish Store Harmonica
The Small Fish wind instrument is a key of C harmonica that comprises twenty notes and ten holes. Your child can use this popular instrument to play blues, pop, and folk music. It passes the F963 International Toy Standard, making it worry-free and safe to use. Made entirely from stainless steel, this kids’ harmonica measures 5×2.1×1.4inches. Weighing 0.2lb, this musical instrument delivers full sound and is comfortable on the lips.
Material: Stainless Steel, ABS plastic | Color: O – Silver | Product Dimensions: 5 x 1.7 x 2.1 inches | Item Weight: 0.64 ounces.
Ideal age: 5+ years
- Hermiticity tested to minimize any air leakage
- Bronze phosphorus reed with ABS resin comb and stainless steel cover
- Includes a storage pouch and microfiber cleaning cloth
- No sharp edges and is easy to wash and clean
- Safety-tested and compliant with ASTM F963 International Toy Standard
- Might be too small for some kids
- Some keys might respond slower
3. Best Elegant Stringed Instrument: Mendini By Cecilio Cellos Stringed Music Instrument
Available in a natural color, this full-sized string instrument for kids measures 55x14x23 inches. It has an elegant design and produces a pristine sound. The kids’ music set incorporates a Brazilwood bow, a cello stand, backpack straps, rosin cake, a cello stand, and an extra set of cello strings. Ideal for students and teachers, this woodwind instrument is also convenient to carry to school or even to an orchestra. Learn more about this product by watching this video.
Item Weight: 1 Pounds | Color: Natural | Top Material: Spruce | String Material: Alloy Steel | Back Material: Maple | Product Dimensions: 55 x 14 x 23 inches | Item Weight: 1 pounds.
Ideal age: 12+ years
- High-luster varnish finish along with inlaid purfling
- Crack-proof spruce top along with maple back, sides, and neck
- Alloy tailpiece with four integrated finer tunes
- Made from high-quality materials
- Lightweight and easy to carry
- Might not be easy to tune
- String quality might not be great
4. Best Set-Of-Two Brass Instrument: Click N’ Play Metallic Silver Saxophone And Trumpet Horn
Manufactured from metallic silver plastic and a lustrous silver finish, this set of two musical wind instruments for children contains a trumpet horn and a saxophone. The mini trumpet has four notes/keys, whereas the toy saxophone has eight notes/keys. They do not include any fabric and guarantee fine quality. Each note has a specific sound, and the keys are specially color-coded so that a child can play some of the songs printed on the back cover of the box. This set of childrens’ musical instruments will encourage creativity amongst the toddlers. This product testing video will provide you with added insights about the product.
Item Weight: 12 ounces | Product Dimensions: 9.85 x 16.73 x 3.7 inches.
Ideal age: 3+ years
- Tested for safety
- Free from lead, BPS, and other unsafe chemicals
- Each instrument measures 16.5 inches
- Heavy-duty construction made from European materials
5. Best Electronic Musical Instrument: M Sanmersen Store’s Electronic Piano Keyboard
M Sanmersen electronic toy piano keyboard is suitable for boys and girls. This starter instrument runs on three AA batteries, measures 43x16x5cm, and is lightweight and easy to carry. You can also run this mini keyboard on a power cable with the help of a power adapter. Suitable for beginners and amateurs, this kids’ electronic keyboard contains eight rhythms, eleven demos, four animal sounds, four percussions, eight tunes, a record playback feature, tempo, and volume control to produce high-quality effects and sounds.
Color: Black | Item Weight: 1.23 pounds | Product Dimensions: 17 x 6.2 x 2 inches.
Ideal age: 3+ years
- Made from environment-friendly ABS material that is non-toxic and sturdy
- Smooth edges and a fine design will not hurt a child
- Cultivates interest in music, creativity, and imagination
- Has larger keys to ensure an accurate press on each key
- Some keys might sound slightly off
- Might be smaller than expected
6. Best Tabletop Percussive Instrument: Ivation Portable Electronic Drum Pad
The set incorporates one snare drum, three toms, one hi-hat cymbal, one crash cymbal, one ride cymbal, a foot pedal for open/closed hi-hat, and one kick pedal for the bass drum tone. Each pedal and pad is marked with an actual picture of the drum or cymbal so that a child can quickly identify it and play. This set of child instruments is compact yet trendy.
Color: Black | Batteries: 1 Lithium Polymer batteries required | Item Weight: 2.66 pounds | Product Dimensions: 16.9 x 12.7 x 2.3 inches.
Ideal age: Suitable for all age groups
- Seven-in-one tabletop drum set with a rechargeable system
- Battery stays longer for up to 20 to 25 hours
- You can either listen to music through the headphones or the in-built speakers
- Ideal for solo play with MP3 backtrack, rhythm accompaniment, demo, and percussion sounds
- Dual speaker has a bass effect for an enhanced sound effect
- Might not be suitable for advanced learners
- May not lay flat
7. Best 13-Piece Percussive Instrument: Beaure 13 Pieces Toddlers Jazz Drum Set
The Beaure drum set toy for toddlers incorporates two cymbals, one stool, one kick pedal, two drumsticks, and seven drums. The product is well designed to store the little drums inside the big drums to save storage space. It will enhance the child’s interest in music and ensure better hand-eye coordination. This product is also ideal for gifting purposes.
Item Weight: 3.64 pounds | Package Dimensions: 13.5 x 13.3 x 7.2 inches
Ideal age: 3 – 8 years
- Manufactured from eco-friendly plastic with exquisite details
- Easy to understand instructions for assembling
- Sturdy with a robust build
- Colorful and attractive for children
“This drum set has helped me introduce my little one to the world of music creation in a fun and attractive manner. Although it needed some support to stay upright on soft surfaces, the assembling was easy. All in all, it’s a good find.”
8. Best Wooden Brass Instrument: Hape Happy Harp Wooden Musical Instrument
With a soft and pleasant sound, this premium and one-of-a-kind product makes a great addition to the list of musical instruments for kindergarten. This woodwind instrument can be your go-to choice for children with tiny hands and with a desire to listen to realistic sounds. It is made from high-quality non-toxic materials and is completely child-safe. Specially developed to strengthen arms and fingers with each note, this wooden instrument encourages creativity. It also enhances attentiveness and motor skill development.
Item Weight: 3.2 ounces | Product Dimensions: 15.76 x 7.92 x 1.34 inches.
Ideal age: 3+ years
- Soft nylon strings are comfortable and safe on a child’s hand
- Ideal foundational instrument for musical instruments songs
- Can be easily tuned and produces high-quality notes
- Has tuning and playing tips and five songs, to begin with
- Might be slightly out of tune
- May not be suitable for serious learners
9. Best Trendy Stringed Instrument: Rosefinch Store’s Acoustic Guitar
Available in black matte color, this acoustic guitar is made from basswood and other high-quality materials and measures 41in. Ideal for children playing musical instruments, this product enhances creativity, imagination, and motor skills. You can produce various musical sounds from it. The strings are made from steel, whereas the neck is made from rosewood. The matte finish ensures no fingerprints on this stylish kids’ guitar, and it requires no regular cleaning. The extra set incorporates a nylon bag, three picks, a different set of strings, a shoulder strap, and a capo. Manufactured after strict measuring, carving, drawing, and polishing, this beginner guitar is a piece of fine craftsmanship.
Color: 41 inch White | Top Material: Basswood | String Material: Bronze | Fretboard Material: Rosewood | Body Material: Basswood | Back Material: Basswood | Product Dimensions: 38.98 x 17.72 x 4.33 inches | Item Weight: 7.48 pounds.
Ideal age: Suitable for all ages
- Perfect choice for beginners and amateurs
- High glossy surface that is smooth and looks chic
- Wooden structure of the guitar offers robustness and a long-lasting life
- Ideal for music instrument lessons, music theory, bands, recitals, on-stage performances, etc.
- Finishing might not be as impressive
10. Best Lightweight Musical Instrument: Quokka Tunes Store Kalimba Thumb Piano
Designed specially in Australia, this Kalimba Thumb piano with 17 keys can help your child practice gratitude and mindfulness with notable features. It is specifically designed to self-teach and get guided with the help of big fonts engraved on the metallic tines. The product comes with a songbook and a hard case to store and protect it with ultimate ease. Weighing only 0.6lb, this product is lightweight and has unique gradients.
Item Weight: 0.6 Pounds | Material: Mahogany Wood | Color: Original | Body Material: Wood | Product Dimensions: 5.2 x 1.2 x 7.2 inches | Item Weight: 9.6 ounces.
Ideal age: Suitable for all age groups
- Minimal and a professional look
- Incorporates a cleaning brush, display stand, and a hard case
- Tuned to the International C tone
- Tines are big enough to give hold of the key properly
- Might be slightly loud
- Tines might be a little stiff
11. Best Wooden Percussive Kit: Benelet Upgrade Natural Wooden Music Kit
The Benelet elementary music instrument set combines one kids’ bongo drum, one tambourine for children, one castanet, one egg toy shaker, one tone block, one guiro with a stick, and a jingle tap. This set of wooden instruments is specially designed for children to discover and create their unique rhythms. It develops math skills and relaxes the kids. Boost their imagination and social skills with this set as it allows multiple kids to play at once. This percussion pack weighs 2.29lb.
Item Weight: 2.33 pounds
Ideal age: 6+ years
- Made from kid-friendly materials and is lightweight
- Handcrafted and made from natural wood
- Improved drum skin
- Ideal for gifting on any occasion
- Paint might start to peel off with time
12. Best Colorful Musical Instrument: Artcreativity Neon Tambourines
Available in a set of 12, these neon tambourines are lightweight and portable. They can be used as elementary music instruments. This set is not too loud and easy to hold. They enhance musical skills and are helpful for stage performances, stage plays, or even airing music movements. You can also use them to fill goodie bags, and their attractive colors tend to grab the kids’ attention.
Item Weight: 1.19 pounds
Ideal age: 3+ years
- Each tambourine has a width of 5.5in
- Kid-friendly and introduce the child to the world of rhythm and music
- Available in green, purple, yellow, and blue color
- Made from high-quality materials
- May not be suitable for rough play
13. Best Recording Instrument For Kids: Musicube Soprano Recorder Instrument
Built specially from maple wood, this woodwind instrument will produce a bright and warm sound. It is specifically developed to cultivate the sense of music in a child. The safety-tested product is FPS-certified and is non-toxic and environmentally friendly. It is ideal for solo playing, in an ensemble, or even in a classroom. They are specially tuned and are handmade by the finest craftsmen. The recorder will teach you to coordinate your breath and the fingers to make beautiful music.
Material: Wood | Color: Baroque Double-hole | Product Dimensions: 12.6 x 1.3 x 1.3 inches | Item Weight: 5.3 ounces.
Ideal age: Suitable for all age groups
- Comes with a cleaning kit for easy maintenance
- Joint grease is provided with the kit to help in the proper functioning of the recorder
- Sturdy built and lasts longer
- Solid wood construction
- Beginner- and student-friendly
- Might leave a wooden taste in mouth
*The prices provided in this article are based on the latest available information. However, they may vary due to changes in pricing by the seller and/or promotional offers.
How To Choose The Right Musical Instrument For Kids?
Consider the following factors before buying a musical instrument for your child.
1. Weight and size: Although a wide variety of instruments are available, your child can develop frustration and annoyance with a larger or heavier piece. Therefore, pick the correct-sized elementary musical instruments for enhancing musical development.
2. Age: Don’t pick overly complicated instruments for your kid. It is essential to start developing an interest in easier instruments. Once the child gets used to it, you can go for advanced versions.
3. Sound: Make sure that the instrument’s sound is appealing to the child. If they like it, your child can put their efforts into creating and developing music.
4. Child’s preference: Make your child choose the instrument they like. This way, their interest would remain constant, and you can take them for trial sessions to learn more about the instrument.
5. Price: It is always wise to invest in sturdy and long-lasting materials. If you are buying musical learning instruments, make sure they are not highly expensive as after a few years, they would be of no use because your child will reach an advanced level in that field.
Is Gender A Factor In Choosing A Musical Instrument?
Gender should not be a factor while picking a musical instrument for their kids. But, stereotypes have paved their way through time, and some think that heavy instruments, such as saxophones, trumpets, and drums, are for boys and instruments, such as pianos, etc., are for girls. However, it all depends on your child’s liking and interest.
1. What is the best age for kids to learn a musical instrument?
The ideal age to learn a musical instrument is four to seven years, as your child will be ready to understand the foundational concepts of music by this age.
2. Which musical instrument is best for brain development?
According to research, playing musical instruments keeps your child’s brain healthy. Violin boosts memory, and piano stimulates neural connections.
3. What is the coolest musical instrument to play?
While all musical instruments are cool to play based on your taste, the guitar is currently very popular.
4. What instrument is best to learn first?
Starter instruments such as pianos and keyboards are ideal for beginners with basic skills as you can start playing them right away.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Wedetso Chirhah is an experienced product writer and reviewer specializing in writing about electronic appliances, automobiles, and other household items. He has written this post on the best musical instruments for children after conducting market research on various platforms and keeping an eye out for user reviews from existing customers. He has also put together a comprehensive buying guide to help you make an informed decision and choose the perfect instrument that meets your needs.
Introducing children to musical instruments at a young age enhances their intelligence while improving their confidence. The musical instrument you pick for your little maestro would depend on their age and the size and weight of the instrument. Your child’s preference should also be considered, as they are the ones who would be using it. When you make sure that the instrument you opt for is durable and made of safe material, you’re good to go.
Infographic: Benefits Of Music For Children
Music can serve as more than just a source of merriment and creativity for little ones. Both listening to and creating music offer numerous physical, cognitive, and emotional benefits to growing children. Delve into the infographic below to gain a better understanding of how incorporating music into your child’s life can contribute to their development.